Monday, November 9, 2009

BFF

When I was little, I had an abundance of friends. It was easy then; you wanted to play hide-n-seek, and playmates came from all over to join you. Of course, only a few were awarded the label “best friend”. Even as a child, I knew that friendships come, and friendships go, and I was content in that notion, because there was a plethora of friends to chose from.

Today, friendships are not so easy. It takes more effort, more give and take. With my new confidence in tact (Ahem, Apple), I have discovered that some friendships, however entertaining, are not always the best thing for you. Sometimes it is good to step back and take a break, because we all need breaks sometimes.

As I get older, I have become pickier about who I let in my circle, and who deserves my time. I am very happy with the people in my life that I consider friends. I know I can count on them no matter what, whether it be crying like a baby after a breakup, or venting about everything under the sun.

I realize now, after all these years, that friendships do not come free, they must be earned and appreciated. I can not, and refuse to settle for less. I will leave you all with a quote that spoke volumes to me.

“The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.”
- Maureen Dowd

4 comments:

  1. Choosing your friends wisely is sooo important. Getting betrayed by someone you thought was a friend is a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll always be your best friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sista!! I think THIS is one of the things we're not really told when we're kids. You know that boys will probably let you down, but a friend? That's a heart break you just never imagine. Stepping back and just taking a breath is sometimes a GREAT thing for any relationship. People change, even in friendships, and when you re-evaluate or even get a "break", it CAN pay off 10 times over.

    And if in any relationship you're not being valued, give the rest of us more of your time. We will appreciate and love every second we get!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I gotta say, evaulating relationships in your life that are draining, is very hard to do. I just recently aquired a friend that I had to "break" away from, and I must say the break paid off.

    ReplyDelete