Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Self Acceptance

I am a firm believer in the power of the mind, the way your thoughts can provoke feelings of self doubt, or renewed confidence in one’s self. I for one, allow my thoughts to dictate my mood. I tell myself I can’t do something, and surprise, surprise, I don’t do it. I have inner struggles with myself, (taking crazy to a whole new level). I am a work in progress, but then aren’t we all?

What I lack in confidence, I make up for with my friends. I think people tend to surround themselves around others that they admire or aspire to be. One trait that I do not possess is an overly confident attitude. A “kiss my ass if you don’t like it”, if you will. I long for the day that I truly disregard others opinions of me. And as if the outside world’s views aren’t bad enough, I have an inner monologue of self doubt, playing like a broken record. Whoever said, “no one can make you feel inferior but yourself” is a genius. I control how I let people’s opinions affect me. Which means I have the power to change it.



I am blessed to be surrounded by friends that exude self confidence. Every one of my friends have strong characteristics that I admire. They help me see that I am stronger and more confident than I let on. For all my friends out there, I want to say thank you, for inspiring me daily to be the best that I can be, today. I want to leave you all with a quote that I love.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-- Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. Last line, one of my favorite quotes EVER.

    I'm so proud of you for writing this. I can already see little pieces of the self doubt falling off of you in different ways. And for what it's worth, when you do get to the point that you let go a little (i.e. when we have epic conversations and I make you see how fabulous you are)...you absolutely shine!

    The day you see that? WATCH OUT WORLD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm super late on seeing this, but I want to say something.

    I used to be shy. Painfully so. And one day, I decided that it sort of sucked and that day, just for the day, I would see what it was like to not be shy. It's only one day.

    I think you can approach the development of that carefree attitude in that manner as well. There's some truth in "fake it 'til you make it."

    That being said, you should always remember that your caring and compassionate nature and the kind things you do and say to others shine through to those of us who've had the privilege to hang out with you. Even if it was only a few times. I could stand to be a little more like you. Maybe I'll try that today.

    ReplyDelete